Let’s be honest – chances are that bath mats aren’t the first thing on your mind when it comes to bathroom décor. If you’re looking to add to your bathroom décor, there are countless other features that probably come to mind before your bathroom mat. If you don’t care about decorating your bathroom, chances are a mat isn’t going to make you start.
Either way, it can be all too easy to overlook your bathroom mat – until you step on a soggy, squishy, soaked-through mat and go slipping and sliding across your bathroom floor.
You don’t want your bathroom mat to ruin your bathroom décor and you don’t want it to be something your guests turn their noses up at. You certainly don’t want it to be something you or they can slip on. What you do want is a bathroom mat that’s as elegant as it is absorbent.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at what goes into the best bath mats.
What to Look for When Shopping for Bath Mats
Before we get into the mats themselves, let’s take a step back and ask – what makes for a great bathroom mat anyway? Good interior decorating is a marriage of form and function, and that’s true of bathroom mats as well. You want a bathroom mat to look vibrant, elegant, and fit in seamlessly with your bathroom décor.
On the macro, you want to make sure that your bathroom mat is absorbent and won’t slip around when you step on it. On a more micro view, some of the factors you’ll want to consider when choosing a bathroom mat include:
- The backing material. You need to make sure that the underside of your mat has good traction and can stay in place rather than slip around on the bathroom tile when stepped on.
- The topside material. You want to make sure that the material that makes up the topside of your bathroom mat can absorb water. The most commonly used material is microfiber.
- The size. How big or small your bathroom mat is can have an impact on how it is perceived from a décor standpoint. It also has safety implications, as larger mats can ensure that you don’t accidentally step on tile rather than your mat while wet following a bath or shower. While bathroom mats vary, 20”x31” is their average size, though larger bathrooms and tubs may require larger options, and bathroom runners can be longer still.
- The aesthetics. You’ll need to consider how short or long and “fluffy” the fibers on your mat are. In addition, you’ll want to consider whether you want the color to be subdued and fit in with your bathtub or tiling, or give your bathroom décor a little more “pop” with options that stand out color-wise.
- How easily they can be washed while still being absorbent.
Best Water Absorbent Mats for Bathrooms on the Market
With that criteria in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best bathroom mats on the market.
1. Lifewit, Soft Shaggy Bath Mats
This is one of the shaggiest, fluffiest options on our list, so if that’s the décor style you’re looking for in a bathroom mat, this might be a great place to start. From an aesthetic perspective, it features soft sumptuous twill material and comes in several subdued, allowing you to add a sense of understated elegance to your bathroom décor.
Among the features that help set these bathroom mats apart are:
- Plush Shag Feel: One of the biggest selling points of this bathroom mat is its lovely, fluffy soft pile and plush shag design. The fibers are densely packed together, providing a soft yet firm texture. These fibers are quite sturdy, allowing the mat to stay softer longer.
- Absorbent Design: This mat is made from a thick Microfiber material that is highly absorbent.
- Machine Washable: While this mat is highly absorbent, it is also easily machine washable, adding to the convenience factor. That said, you’ll want to take care to ensure that your washing machine is able to handle it, as low power machines may not be able to handle the size of a mat.
- Larger Size: This mat is on the larger side compared to other bathroom mats at 32″ x 20″.
- Anti-Slip Design: This mat features TPR rubber on the back of the mat, which is a more upscale, stronger, and more durable material.
2. Gorilla Grip Shaggy Chenille Bathroom Mat
Here we have another bathroom mat that features a shaggy, soft design. It features options at the smaller and larger end of the spectrum, and as implied by the name, this is a mat that features a “gorilla grip,” which helps it stay in place.
Among the defining features for this bathroom mat are:
- Dazzling Colors: With more than two dozen colors from which to choose, these mats offer a dazzling array of design options for those looking to add a splash of color to their bathroom décor.
- Varied Sizes: This mat comes in a range of sizes, from a lithe 17” x 24” to an enormous 70” x 24”.
- Chenille Shag Surface: This is another mat that boasts a sumptuous surface, with luxurious chenille shag tufts making this mat incredibly soft to the touch. What’s more, chenille as a fabric is a very warm fabric. No one likes going from a nice hot shower to freezing cold feet the second they step out of the shower. This soft warm surface can add a little touch of warmth and luxury to your bathroom setup.
- Absorbent Design: Another benefit of chenille is the fact that it’s quite thick and thus absorbent, trapping moisture and keeping it from seeping through to your tile.
3. Genteele Memory Foam Bath Mats
Memory foam has made a huge impact in the world of mattresses, redefining comfort and compatibility. Now mat manufacturers like Genteele are bringing these qualities to the bathroom with memory foam bathroom mats. If you’re looking for a bathroom mat that is absorbent and firm while conforming to your feet when you get out of the shower or tub for added anti-slip action, this might be a good choice.
Some of the notable features about this bath mat from Genteele include:
- Varied Sizes: This is another mat that offers a wide range of size options, with the smallest option here measuring 17” x 24” and the biggest 60” x 17”.
- Soft Yet Firm Material: The polyurethane memory foam in this mat is paired with an exterior velvety material that makes it soft, yet firm. What’s more, if you’re looking for a bathroom mat on the thicker side, this might be a good choice because the foam itself is nice and thick.
- Machine Washable: You can wash this mat in the washing machine without fear of the color fading. Use cold water and mild detergent.
All in all, this is a good choice for those eager to give memory foam mats a try, or else those looking for a mat that’s a bit thicker than many others on this list.
4. DEARTOWN Non-Slip Thick Microfiber Bathroom Rugs
This is another bathroom mat that makes use of chenille, so if you’re looking for all the benefits that come with it, from a warmer mat to a soft fuzzy surface, DEARTOWN’s offering is one to note.
Some of the most important features that help this mat make our list include:
- Moderately-Sized Mat: While this mat is on the larger side at 27.5” x 47”, it’s more moderately-sized compared to others on this list. That can be good for those looking for a mat that’s slightly on the larger side, but don’t wish to purchase some of the bathroom mat behemoths listed here.
- Soft to the Touch: That chenille material makes this one of the softer bathroom mats on our list.
- Safe for Babies: Babies aren’t exactly the most stable creatures in the world when it comes to standing upright. When you place your baby on a mat after they get out of the tub, you want to make sure that they aren’t going to go slipping and sliding across your bathroom floor. The softness, as well as its stability, makes this a choice that’s even safe for babies.
- Deeper by the Dozen: This mat comes in a dozen different colors, giving you a nice range from which to choose. Even better, the coloration of these mats is much deeper and more vivid than other options on our list. If color is a primary concern, this should probably be one of your primary options when considering new mats for your bathroom.
- Anti-Skid Material: The bottom is made with anti-slip material.
- Good Absorbency and Curl-Resistant: This mat does a good job of soaking up moisture from your shower, tub, and body as it drops off you. In addition, the material does not curl easy, meaning that this is one mat that will stay flat over prolonged use.
5. K-Mat Large Luxury White Bath Mat
If you’re looking to accent your bathtub or tile with an elegant white rug, this offering might be the perfect blend of practicality and elegance.
This offering from K-May distinguishes itself in several ways, including:
- Compact Mat: While this mat is by no means small, it is more compact than other options on this list. Its smallest size measures 20” x 32”, while its largest size measures 47” x 32”. That makes this a great mat for both those looking for a more average-sized bathroom mat, as well as one that veers slightly towards the larger end of the spectrum.
- Anti-Skid Rubber: This is another mat that makes use of TPR backing. This allows it to maintain a good grip on your tile.
- Fluffy Microfiber Surface: This mat is quite soft to the touch. The fibers are placed close enough together to give it a good, thick feeling. What’s more, it is able to maintain that fluffiness over a long period of time, as it does not wear easily.
- Wash Without Shedding: One of the most annoying problems of anyone looking to wash their mat is the fact that they can sometimes have a tendency to shed. This mat combats that by having the fibers attached to the backing mat, giving it the durability to survive wash after wash for years to come.
6. Clara Clark Non-Slip Memory Foam Tub-Shower Bath Rug Set
Let’s say that one bathroom mat alone isn’t enough for you. Maybe you want to lay down a few so you can get out of the shower or tub and walk towards the toilet or stand at the sink without fear of slipping. If that’s the case, you’ll want to consider this offering from Clara Clark.
This memory foam bath mat sets itself apart with several key features, including:
- Interchangeable Sizes: This is what really sets this selection apart. The other entries on our list come in different sizes, but are only offered as single items. With this bathroom mat from Clara Clark, you can purchase both the 17” x 24” size as well as the 20” x 32”. Not only can you buy these together in bundles of two or three mats, but you can also buy a matching contoured mat that features an opening that allows it to fit at the base of your toilet.
- Memory Foam: This is another mat that makes use of memory foam. It keeps its shape quite well while providing a good deal of firmness when you step into and out of the shower or tub. In addition, if allergies are a major concern, you’ll be thankful to know that this bathroom mat is hypoallergenic.
- Good Grip: This bathroom mat features PVC dots on the back of an anti-skid underside, helping it stay put without fear of it skidding across the floor. It is able to resist skidding even when wet. The absorbency of this mat is quite good, making it an all-around excellent option.
- Machine Washable: This is another mat that can be washed in your washing machine for extra convenience. Just put it in, make sure the settings are on a gentle wash, and you’re good to go.
7. mDesign Soft Microfiber Polyester Non-Slip Extra-Long Spa Mat
Remember at the beginning, when we talked about how runners could be even longer than traditional bath mats? This runner from mDesign is a perfect example of how that extra length can translate into extra elegance.
This fantastic bath runner has several features which recommend it, including:
- Extra Length: So, let’s get right to the chase. This bath runner measures an impressive 60” x 21”, making it the largest item on our list. If you’re looking for a bath mat or runner that can cover a huge space in style, this might be just what you’ve been looking for.
- Superb Absorbency: Of course, all that extra size won’t count for much if the mat itself is paper thin. Thankfully, this offering from mDesign is anything but. It is quite absorbent, and given how large the runner is, you can count on it to catch most, if not all, of the dripping water from your bathtub or shower.
- Good Sturdiness: This runner is made from a blend of Microfiber and polyester. The result is a runner that is as sturdy as it is large. You can wash it on a gentle wash without risk of it wearing out. Do not bleach it or send it to the dry cleaners.
- A World of Colors: With more than a dozen colors from which to choose, including cool greys and deep blues, you’ll be able to add a sense of elegance and color to your bathroom décor.
8. Utopia Towels Washable Cotton Banded Bath Mat
These are good, simple cotton bath mats. No fuss, no muss, all quality mat. These bath mats are a good portable option for those looking to take their bath mat with them when they travel.
Some of the positive features about these simple streamlined bath mat options include:
- Portable Size: Unlike many of the other bath mats on this list, this offering from Utopia distinguishes itself in part by its portability. It measures 21” x 34”, big enough to do just fine as a bath mat, while being small enough to fit in your suitcase with ease. Moreover, if you do wish to use these for home use, you can get them in a two pack.
- Beauty and Durability: For portable bath mats, these options are surprisingly nice. They are soft to the touch, double-hemmed, and their banded design adds to their aesthetic appeal. They are also quite durable, and can stand up to many repeated uses.
- Dries Fast: Unlike several other options on this list, these options do not have a rubberized back. While that means that it isn’t able to hold its grip as easily, it also means that it can dry much faster than many of these options as well.
There are a surprising number of factors to consider when searching for the perfect bathroom mat.
How big should it be? Do you prefer a warm, soft, fluffy mat, or one that features the gentle firmness of memory foam? What kind of balance do you want to strike between absorbency, anti-slip measures, and fast-drying material?
All of the bath mats on this list are excellent in their own way.
Determine what features matter most to you, and you’ll be ready to select the bath mat of your dreams.