Do you want to block Wi-Fi in a certain room of your house? You’re not alone. Many people are seeking ways to keep Wi-Fi out of an individual room of the house, such as children’s rooms.
Other places, such as offices, prefer to block Wi-Fi signals so that they are not interfering with employees’ abilities to be productive workers. Employees may get on their cell phones or tablets, taking valuable time away from tasks at work and thus costing the company money.
Others report that their health is affected by Wi-Fi signals and need to block it from their sleeping areas. I can relate-and I would like to share with you some tips for blocking an unwanted signal.
» NAVIGATION «
Problems With Wi-Fi Signals
Individuals who use Wi-Fi Wireless routers on the inside of their homes are subject to a large amount of microwave energy consistently each and every day. One individual found that readings were in the 25-100 microwatt area, and in some instances as high as 200-400 microwatts when using an HF meter outside windows and walls. When looking inside the homes, readings sometimes got as high as 1000 microwatts.
This can be a source of alarm for some and may also be the reasoning behind some health problems associated with Wi-Fi signals. Some people report symptoms such as dizziness, feeling lightheaded, feelings of nervousness, or even trouble falling asleep.
Wireless routers and Bluetooth devices are purveyors of electromagnetic radiation. They give off this radiation in a low-gigahertz frequency, which at first sounds harmless-but can be dangerous for some people.
Keep in mind that:
- EMFs (electric and magnetic fields) can go through walls
- People are exposed around the clock as the routers are usually not turned off.
- You are exposed to others’ signals thanks to many homes nowadays having a wireless router. Many businesses proudly advertise their use of Wi-Fi signals as a means of attracting clientele.
- The strength of the signal depends upon the strength of the router producing the signal. Therefore, a business may have a stronger signal than that of a home.
Wi-Fi Signal in a Room: Get a Reading
You can use an EMF reader to get a reading on the room you feel most concerned about. You can borrow one from a friend, or even purchase this affordable one right on Amazon.
For those of you doing it for health reasons, note the following safety levels for RF and Microwaves:
- Avg. Level for Homes: .0001 to .5 microwatts Microwatts/cm² (μW/cm²)
- General Public Level of Precaution: .001 μW/cm²
- FCC Recommended Level for Public: 1000 μW/cm²
- Level for those Hypersensitive to EMF: .001 or lower μW/cm²
What to Do Outside of the Home
Perhaps you would like to take the next step and find a way to shield your home, or a part of your home, from Wi-Fi. Just closing the door won’t do anything. There are two better methods of doing it.
The thing to do is get your home enclosed inside an all-metal barrier. The least pricey way to do this is by using Mylar blankets. They are sometimes known as “emergency blankets,” and you can find them in nearly any survival store or even a sporting goods shop. You can also find them on Amazon.
The coating on these blankets is a conductor of RF waves and will collect the energy but not allow it to pass to the other side of the Mylar blanket, blocking out some of the RF waves. Please do note that one side of the blanket features the aluminum coating while the other side is plastic, so please take a second to double-check before you put them up.
- Material Type: Silver
- Country of Origin: United States
- Waterproof and weatherproof foil and mylar emergency...
- Mylar insert provides insulation and the foil cover can...
Another thing you can do, although more expensive, is to use aluminum screening. This is not hard to find, and you will find that it does a pretty good job of keeping microwave energy out of the home.
However, do not think you are safe from waves inside the home: having this shield up but still operating a router will only bounce the signals around the home. Indeed, this is only a method you can use to keep RF energy from outside sources out of your home.
How You Can Block the Signal in the Room
Do not ever jam a signal using a signal jammer. This is illegal in most areas.
You will find that the method of blocking Wi-Fi signals in a room is very similar to how you would do this outside of your home. The key is using metal to block off these harmful waves.
You can certainly use Mylar blankets as a means of blocking Wi-Fi from getting into the room. You can line the blankets on the walls of your room but be sure to double-check that the correct side is facing outward-you will want the aluminum facing outward, so it keeps signals away. Aluminum foil works well also.
There also exist expensive products such as Wi-Fi-blocking paint, or also an EMF adapter which can be used to neutralize EMF in a home or office setting. The former is good in that it protects signals from coming in but does nothing to neutralize your own signal. The latter will make a room safe by clearing and protecting a space from EMF radiation.
These adapters work by sending a harmonizing and resonant signal through the room’s wiring. This particular product includes pendants that some users feel are good signal blockers, although I cannot verify if this actually works or not.
Expanding A Bit on the Health Effects of Wi-Fi
Certain health effects have been linked to Wi-Fi. In this section, we will talk about some of the effects other people have reported during their interaction with Wi-Fi.
- Insomnia-we mentioned this briefly, but it is a side effect of Wi-Fi: Go onto any Internet forum about Wi-Fi prevention and you will find that there are plenty of people complaining they cannot fall asleep with Wi-Fi present in their homes, or at least indicating they are having serious trouble getting good sleep. There was even a study conducted in 2007 that showed people exposed to EMF signals from phones had a harder time getting to sleep.
- Brain function is affected: Research conducted found that individuals who were exposed to radiation of the 4G variety had some areas of reduced activity in their brains. MRIs were used to examine and conclude such results.
- One woman was found to have developed breast cancer even though her family had no predisposition to such a condition. She developed a tumor right where she carried her phone-inside of her bra. Although human studies are few and far between, there are different case studies and reports that consumers should be aware of.
- A person’s fertility may also be impacted: In the study conducted, mice that were exposed for 2 hours per day for a total of 45 days had levels of higher stress. This resulted in cellular damage and an impact on DNA structure that suggested a high possibility of an egg failing to implant or an abnormal gestation. It is also worth noting that the Karolinska Institute of Sweden advised that pregnant women should avoid wireless devices and stay away from other users of such devices.
Other Effects You Should Know About
- Cell growth in plants may be affected: Kids in a Danish school found that they were having trouble sleeping. So, they did an experiment: They put grew one set of plants in a room that did not have Wi-Fi radiation and grew some other plants next to two routers that released radiation equivalent to that of a cell phone. They found that the plants located by the radiation did not grow. They did this experiment after complaining they could not sleep after their phones were by their head.
- Fertility in men may be impacted: When looking at tests conducted in both humans and animals, it was discovered that sperm is also affected by the presence of Wi-Fi frequencies. Sperm movement is reduced, and DNA fragmentation takes place.
- The development of children may be impacted: Fetal development, in particular, can be affected by the radiofrequency radiation that comes from Wi-Fi and cell phone radiation. One 2004 animal study noted the delayed kidney development as part of the exposure, and in 2009 researchers in Austria noted that protein synthesis was disrupted so greatly that they made a special note of the cell property being prominent in children-people who have growing tissues and thus would be more prone to the effects.
No matter what your reasoning is for wanting to keep Wi-Fi out of a particular room, there are very doable methods for it. Some are much easier than others, such as using aluminum foil or Mylar blanket, while others are a bit harder.
However, the time you devote to making sure your signals are blocked will be well worth it when you are able to sleep, work, and enjoy life in a comfortable setting.